Monday, May 14, 2012
Even though the word "wellness" is not found in the Bible, God has a great deal to say about it. God's desire for us is to experience perfect health and well being in the form of optimal spiritual, mental, emotional and physical wellness. He wants us to be fulfilled, live with purpose and live the abundant life (John 10:10). That's mental wellness. He wants us to experience love, peace, joy and all the fruits of the Holy Spirit and be free from worry and stress even in the midst of trials and tribulations (Gal 5:22, 1 Peter 5:7). That's emotional wellness. God wants us healed and free from sickness and disease (Psalm 103:3, Isa 53:5, Matt 5:17, 1 Peter 2:24). That's physical wellness. God wants us to prosper and have all our basic needs met (3 John 2, Psalm 35:27, Matt 6:33). That's financial wellness. More importantly, God wants us to know Him intimately, worship Him and spend eternity with Him (Jo 3:16, Jo 17:3). That's spiritual wellness. In short, God's wants us to be whole and blessed in every aspect of our life (Mark 10:52). Now that's true wellness!
A 13-year study of 30,000 women found that those who followed 9 recommendations from the American Institute for Cancer Research were 35% less likely to get cancer than those who met 3 or fewer of the recommendations.
Here are 9 recommendations to reduce your chances of getting cancer:
- Eat 5 or more servings of antioxidant-packed vegetables and fruits daily.
- Eat 5 or more daily servings of legumes, root vegetables & high fiber grains.
- Eat no more than 3 ounces of red meat per day.
- Limit alcohol intake to no more than 1 to 2 drinks per day.
- Achieve and/or maintain your ideal body weight.
- Limit saturated fat such as lard, butter and trans fats.
- Try to get at least an hour of moderate (>70% MHR) exercise daily; at least once per week step up the intensity (>80% MHR).
- Abstain from all tobacco products.
- Avoid over-exposure to the sun and always wear a sun block when outdoors.
Ingredients:2 cups mixed greens spring mix
1 medium celery stalk
1 medium carrot
1 medium-size ripe tomato
1/2 ripe avocado
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup baked beans (thoroughly rinsed)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp Brianna’s Poppy Seed salad dressing
10-12 Triscuit® Fire-Roasted Tomato & Olive Oil crackers
Freshly ground black pepper