The average American gets about 6 hours of sleep a night, but extensive research shows that people need 7 to 8 hours of sleep for optimum well-being. Here are some tips to help you achieve better sleep:
- Wakeup and go to bed at the same time everyday aiming for at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Avoid strenuous exercise 2 to 3 hours before your regular bedtime.
- Avoid any stimulating beverages several hours before your regular bedtime. This includes coffee, caffeinated tea, soft drinks, alcohol and sugary beverages. Alcohol may initially help you fall asleep, but it is a chemical stimulate and will hinder the quality and depth of stage 3 & 4 sleep.
- Minimize brain-stimulating activities 1 to 2 hours before your regular bedtime. Brain-stimulating activities include television viewing, web surfing, intense discussions, balancing your checkbooks, exposure to bright lighting and stressing about the future.
- Take Melotonin as it may improve your sleep. Research shows that some people benefit from taking this supplement.
- Before bedtime, drink a cup of herbal tea that includes valerian or chamomile or lavender.
- Drink a glass of warm, low-fat milk before bedtime.
- Embrace relaxation-type activities before bedtime. Relaxation-type activities include meditating on God's Word, prayer, listening to relaxing music, deep diaphragmatic breathing, taking a bath, light stretching, meditating on your goals, focusing on your life's purpose, visualizing your desired future, writing a gratitude list, and journaling or reflecting.