A 13-year study of 30,000 women found that those who followed 9 recommendations from the American Institute for Cancer Research were 35% less likely to get cancer than those who met 3 or fewer of the recommendations.
Here are 9 recommendations to reduce your chances of getting cancer:
- Eat 5 or more servings of antioxidant-packed vegetables and fruits daily.
- Eat 5 or more daily servings of legumes, root vegetables & high fiber grains.
- Eat no more than 3 ounces of red meat per day.
- Limit alcohol intake to no more than 1 to 2 drinks per day.
- Achieve and/or maintain your ideal body weight.
- Limit saturated fat such as lard, butter and trans fats.
- Try to get at least an hour of moderate (>70% MHR) exercise daily; at least once per week step up the intensity (>80% MHR).
- Abstain from all tobacco products.
- Avoid over-exposure to the sun and always wear a sun block when outdoors.